Service d'Astrophysique, CEA Saclay, 91191 Gif-sur-Yvette, France
Phone: +33 1 69 08 57 64 77, Fax: +33 1 69 08 65 77
lab: CosmoStat lab web page, my PhDTree77
Google Scholar Profile
Biography Jean-Luc Starck is Senior Scientist at the Institute of Research into the Fundamental Laws of the Universe, CEA-Saclay, France. Jean-Luc Starck has a Ph.D from Nice Observatory and an Habilitation from University Paris XI. He was a visitor at the European Southern Observatory (ESO) in 1993, at UCLA in 2004 and at Stanford’s Department of Statistics in 2000 and 2005. Since 1994, he has been a tenured Researcher at CEA-Saclay, Institute of Research into the Fundamental Laws of the Universe. His research interests include cosmology, especially cosmic microwave background and weak lensing data, and statistical methods such as wavelets and other sparse representations of data. He is leader of the CosmoStat laboratory at CEA and he is involved in Euclid ESA mission. He has published over 200 refereed papers in astrophysics, cosmology, signal processing and applied mathematics, and he is also author of three books entitled Image Processing and Data Analysis: the Multiscale Approach(Cambridge University Press, 1998), Astronomical Image and Data Analysis (Springer, 2nd edition, 2006) and Sparse Image and Signal Processing: Wavelets, Curvelets, Morphological Diversity (Cambridge University Press, 2010).
- Head of the CosmoStat laboraratory at CEA/Saclay.
- Leader of the level 3 Organization Unit in the Euclid Consortium (a unit regrouping 240 researchers dedicated to design the algorithms that will be used to deliver ESA Euclid products such as power spectra, mass maps, etc.
- Leader of the OULE3-Weak Lensing Work Package in the Euclid Consortium.
- Associate editor of the SIAM Journal on Imaging Sciences (SIIMS).
- Vice-President of the International Astrostatistics Association (IAA).
- P.I. of the DEDALE project.
- CoI of the PHySIS Project
Over the past decade, Dr. Starck has attracted over 8 MEuros from competitive grants to support the research activities of his group. Select grants include:
- EU H2020-FETOPEN, DEDALE, Data Learning on Manifolds and Future Challenges, P.I., 2015-2018, 2703 kEuros
- EU H2020-COMPET. Physis, Sparse Signal Processing Technologies for HyperSpectral Imaging Systems, CO-I, 2015-2017, 1 028 kEuros.
- EU ERC Advanced Grant SparseAstro, P.I., 2009-1014, 2360 kEuros.
- EU Marie Curie Industry-Academia Partnership and Pathways (IAPP), CS-Orion, 2010-2014, CO-I., 1280 kEuros.
- ANR MultID, 2012-2014, Robust Multispectral data analysis for target detection and IDentification, 300 KEuros.
- ANR NatImages. Adaptivity for Natural Images and Texture Representations, CO-I, 2009-2012, 307 kEuros.
- EU Astronet, Compressed Sensing for Herschel, European Astronet Funding, 2009-1011, 400 kEuros.
Chair of the following events:
- Chair of the Conference, Statistical Challenges in 21st Century Cosmology, Chania, Greece, May, 2016.
- International Workshop on Cosmology and Sparsity 2, Nice, France, Sep 7 - 11, 2014.
- IAU Statistical Challenges in 21st Century Cosmology, Lisbon, Portugal, May 25 - 29, 2014.
- Workshop on weak gravitational lensing - beyond the ordinary, Nice, France, Jun 3 - 5, 2013.
- Session on Astrophysical signal processing highlights, international biomedical and astronomical signal processing (BASP) Frontiers workshop, Versoix, Switzerland, Jan 27 - Feb 1, 2013.
- NatImages Workshop, Nice, France, Jul 9 - 13, 2012.
- Astronomical Data Analysis VII (ADA7), Cargese, Corsica, France, May 14 - 18, 2012.
- Summer School: Advanced data processing and reproducible research, Cargese, Corsica, France, May 7 - 11, 2012.
- Sparsity and Inverse Problems in Image Processing Mini-Symposia, 6th PICOF Conference, Ecole Polytechnique, Palaisau, France, Apr 2 - 4, 2012.
- Statistical Challenges in Modern Astronomy, Pennsylvania State University, USA, Jun 13 - 17, 2011.
- International Workshop on Cosmology and Sparsity, Nice, France, May 30 - Jun 1, 2011.
- Astronomical Data Analysis VI (ADA6), Monastir, Tunisia, May 3 - 6, 2010.
- Wavelets XIII, Special Session on Sparsity in multi-dimensional inverse problems, San Diego, USA, August 2 - 6, 2009.
- Astronomical Data Analysis V (ADA5), Heraklion, Crete, Greece, May 7 - 9, 2008.
- Image Processing for Random Shapes: Applications to Brain Mapping, Geophysics and Astrophysics, UCLA, USA, May 21 - 25, 2007.
- Astronomical Data Analysis Conference IV, Marseille, France, September 18 - 20, 2006.
- Multiscale Geometry and Analysis in High Dimensions, Institute for Pure & Applied Mathematics, Sep 7 - Dec 17, 2004.
- MGA Workshop IV: Multiscale Geometric Methods in Astronomical Data Analysis, Institute for Pure & Applied Mathematics, Nov 8 - 12, 2004.
- Astronomical Data Analysis Conference III, Sant'Agata sui due Golfi, Napoli, Italy, Apr 28 - May 1, 2004.
- Multiscale Geometric Analysis: Theory, Tools, and Applications, Institute for Pure & Applied Mathematics, Jan 13 - 17, 2003.
- Astronomical Data Analysis Conference II, Waikoloa, Hawaii, USA, Aug 22 - 28, 2002.
- Astronomical Data Analysis Conference, San Diego, USA, 2001.